Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Tender Perennial for the Shade

If you are looking for a pretty, low care plant for the shade - Fuchsia 'Gartenmeister Bonstedt' is the one for you. It takes all sorts of abuse - dry, wet, dark (in my basement right now!) - and for the most part really holds onto its lovely orange/red flowers. The leaves are a lovely dark green tinged with maroon and as a bonus, the stems are the same dark maroon colour as well. While it is classified as a hardy fuchsia - I beg to differ! Those left in the garden to overwinter had absolutely no pulse the following spring. So, each year, I drag one plant in, pay very little attention to it over the worst of the winter and then in February take cuttings. I'd classify it as an easy plant to propagate - my success rate is about 90% with these cuttings.

No comments: