Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Some of the Nicest Combinations Happen Accidentally

Last year when I grew Perilla 'Moonlit Seas' from Select Seeds, I was thinking of the plants as a container accent or herb. Yes, they were pretty, but I didn't care for the flavour, so I figured they'd be something I would try, but would not repeat. Well, so much for my intentions, because as Select says, "They reseed." Do they ever!

But, look how nice this combination is: Sedum 'Matrona' with Perilla 'Moonlit Seas'. Now that I know I've got Perilla for the rest of my natural life, I'm going to pair it with my new Rudbeckia 'Cappuccino' and a few other newer plants. If you are daring enough to try this one, remember to pinch out the centres so it won't flower and reseed. It likes sun or shade. However, the colour is always much nicer the more light you can provide.

2 comments:

Barbee' said...

One year a single Perilla came up in a bed. I took a leaf from it to the Horticulture Extension Agent to identify. From that one little plant have come hundreds! I especially enjoyed them where they came up with orange daylilies.

Barbarapc said...

barbee - that would be stunning - I've got a fair bit of orange in the garden - gives me some new ideas!