Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Bits of Colour in the Garden

I went out to get a few snaps - the bunch I took this a.m. were a total snore. Very weird and flat light and for a few moments the sky looked quite fierce. However, now that I'm at my desk, the sun is out, the wind has died down and the dinner guests are on the way.
I find it interesting to see what I find when I'm looking for colour. These Phlox 'Starfire' have been brilliant all summer - and considering the amount of mildews on everything else - their leaves look great. I'd whacked them back not expecting much, but think that this is quite pretty.
And, the Hibiscus are still blooming away. I'd normally trash a photo with such a high contrast and big black holes with no information, but there's something a little Bergman'esque about the way they're all facing. The little dots are seeds from a massive Eupatorium that needs to be deadheaded before every little seed takes off and germinates. And finally - good colour from the Talinum - lovely chartreuse and self-seeds reliably. With such shocking foliage - it's easy to find and remove those you don't want.








3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Talinum is very reflective. I bet it would look good next to dark green foliage.
The showy Hibiscus blooms are looking pretty, all oriented in the same direction, like little white satellite dishes.
It's great to still have healthy foliage in the fall, go, 'Starfire', go.

Glädjekällans Trädgårdsblogg said...

Hello Barbara
and thanks for your wellcomming words on my blogg.
Do you know the name of the plant on the last picture. I am not so very good in English but I hope you will understand.
The plant in the last picture I took seeds from when I visited US and Longwood gardens three years ago, the plant sows itself a lot but don't fix the winter here in Sweden.
Just now I have 2 or 3 plants.
Have a wonderful Sunday
Birgitta

Glädjekällans Trädgårdsblogg said...

Hello again
I have found the name, Talinum paniculatum, thanks to you.
Birgitta