Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Garden has Taken a Giant Leap into Fall


The weather really has been quite benevolent up until yesterday. And today, although we were spared the snow that they got an hour north of here, the garden is a pure reflection of that cold and wind. Stocks and leaves that had stood so upright and strong just days ago have collapsed overnight with the freeze and thaw. Things I'd waited to cut back because they were so pretty, now have textures that mush when I apply the clippers.

On the less gooey side of things, the seed heads are just wonderful; the leaf colours more intense; and the grass will soon get its final cut for the year - leaving lots of time for planting the bulbs I picked up on Monday...all 500 of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens we have leaf colour to compensate for the collapsing, mushy plants. Unfortunately they keep falling off the trees here as it has been quite breezy. I wish they could stay in place all winter.

Barbarapc said...

I'm with you - especially trying to rake up the pine needles - I think all I manage to do is comb them in one direction. We've got more heavy winds on our way this w/e too!

Ottawa Gardener said...

That clematis(?) seedhead picture if fantastic! We have only recently had real frost descent on us. Before it was just the wimpy patchy stuff that wouldn't kill well didn't kill a pepper.

Barbarapc said...

It is indeed a clematis - thanks. They're predicting snow for mon & tuesday. I'm hoping for one of those Jack Frost sort of mornings so I can get some good photos - fingers crossed!