Thursday, September 18, 2014

It's Almost Autumn

The grass is soaking wet in the morning.  Beds that were full of colour are oozing green from their leaves.  Seed heads have replaced flowers.  We are well and truly almost done for the year.  And, it continues to be a year of surprises.  I was absolutely delighted to discover that this Hibiscus liked the cold fierce winter.  A number of years ago, I'd collected some seed from a bed that was being pulled apart outside an attraction in Nashville.  The germination was pretty good and for a couple of years I had plants - sadly, an especially cold and icy winter did them in.  This past winter was worse, but it was exceptionality snowy - so a reminder to myself when I'm doing time with the shovel that this is a good thing for my plants (and my waist line).


Hydrangeas have been fabulous.  This is a fairly new planting and look how well they've done.


Another morning walk-home-garden.  Blues, pinks and purples really are so beautiful together.


Now this is a plant that I generally kill in pretty short order every season.  Not only did this Loblaw trial plant called 'Petticoat Blue Star' survive - it thrived.  Stunning large blossoms all summer.


The blossoms of Hosta plantaginea really do trumpet the end of summer.


Without the bedding Impatiens to lean on, many of the Town of Oakville display beds have been given over to begonias.  The plant developers have done a great job improving both the plant and flower size.


We seem to have had more sunny days this fall than we had all summer.  I'm trying to absorb as much Vitamin D as I can before the season ends.


Here's a photo of 'Petticoat Blue Star' with Rex Begonia 'Shadow King Cool White'.  Considering how hard this pot has been whacked in rain-storms, I'm pleased with how it has stood up.


If you really squint you can make out Toronto way in the distance.


47 days until the Ash is removed.  Mr. Red Tail Hawk is going to have to find a new perch - much to the delight of other creatures he's been terrorizing.


Just wanted to give you an idea of how close it is to the house and why we're going to need a crane to remove it.



Makes me sad every time I look at it.


And on a completely different topic - a reminder to myself:  1.  It isn't always the fault of technology 2.  Computers don't just fail on their own, and 3.  Software isn't always to blame.  

I was having trouble with my internet yesterday.  I called Cogeco and found out that there were outages in several cities.  I assumed my problem was related to their overall problem.  When it didn't clear up, I called to find out what gives.  A very nice man told me to reconnect everything and connect it up again.  Don't know why that always makes me a bit grumpy, but it does.  Anyway when I spun the box around to reconnect it, look what I found.  Yes, those are teeth marks care of our little cat Hercules, who will now be completely banned from Kevin's office.  No, I didn't tell the nice man on the phone.  Anyone ever heard of a chew stick for cats?


2 comments:

Donna@Gardens Eye View said...

Barbara I am amazed how much is growing and blooming...here so much has faded due to the cold snap we had most of September...frost probably tonight...enjoy all that beauty while you can.

Jim/ArtofGardening.org said...

Cats. You can't trust 'em. If there's any money missing from your bank accounts, ask the cat. They cheat and they lie.