Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Bye Bye Oakville -- Hello Welland!

It's been over a year that I've posted anything.  And, while I wish I could say that I've been eating bonbons and learning a new exotic language, I can't.  In a nutshell, think coconut here, rather than peanut -- we renovated our Oakville home, put stuff in storage, put it on the market, bought a new home,  sold old home, moved aged father-in-law twice, said goodbye to dear Auntie Margaret before her time, and were responsible for taking care of four homes in two provinces - although unlike the Kardashians, nobody appeared early in the morning to do our hair and nails.  I am delighted to say, repeating my friend Susan's mantra, "It's all working out."  



I'll talk more about my new quarter-acre garden in the wet clay of Welland later, but now, with the help of a new friend I've met on my morning walk, here are some types of flowers you might like to try in order to make your late summer and early fall garden simply gorgeous.  I took these photos on Monday at the trial gardens of William Dam Seeds.

A great little patch of Pansy 'Morning Dew' (pay no heed to the weeds - the summer help has all gone back to school!)




This cool Centauria 'Silverstone' is a trial plant and hopefully will do well enough to be included in future seed lists.


Silene pendula 'Sibella Carmine'


I could just get down on the ground and give these bright happy flowers a hug:  Zinnia 'Holi Scarlet F1'.  Seems that I'm not alone, it is a 2019 AAS Flower Winner.


Pentas is a great late season performer.  This one is 'Graffiti Flirty Pink'.


Old fashioned and fabulous Marigold 'Alumia Vanilla Cream'.


The butterflies were mad for this Scabiosa mix.



Daucas 'Dara'.  Fancy Queen Anne's Lace.



I always was annoyed at how long it took Cosmos to bloom, but when they look like this, I'd be willing to forgive. 


Another longish from seed to bloom is Lisianthus - this is a trial called 'Arena Purple'.


This patch was being grown for a wedding.


Verbena bonariensis


Here's a happy long-stemmed variety of Marigold called 'Garland Orange'.


And to finish for today, a Painted Lady who just couldn't resist the Scabiosa either.


It's nice to be back with my blogging buddies!

6 comments:

Kathy said...

Wow, you moved! I'm astounded! Much has changed in a short time.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

My goodness Barb girl !
Your life has had so many major changes it is amazing ;-)
Here you are with wonderful pictures .. I am in love with the Fancy Queen Anne's Lace .. I have been an admirer forever and have had no good luck trying to "sprout" her .. but if these seeds come out I may try all over again .. that is what we gardener do when we are stuck on a plant right ?
I hope things have settled down a bit for you now and you can just enjoy your new surroundings and try out that new camera ! I am looking forward to seeing wonderful pictures from this new vantage point you have .. what an adventure or two you have been on.
I'm so sorry for your loss and the stresses you have endured but you will prevail and enjoy your life all the more ... well done you !
take care
Joy

Paul Jung said...

It's good to hear from you again, Barb! Great pictures as usual. The only constant is change but gardeners know this with the change of the seasons and life cycles of all things.

Beth at PlantPostings said...

Oh my goodness--you've been through so much this past year. Sorry to hear of your loss. Thanks for sharing these lovely ideas for future garden additions. I'll look forward to reading about/seeing more of your new garden!

Gail said...

That is a busy year! xogail

XKY France said...

Thank you for such a great post you wrote here and I'm very obliged to write an article here on the benefit of herbal herbs.I am 29 years old and have been diagnosed with breast cancer, ease of treatment and a similar story, except for my first acceptance as a rejection of herbal medicine. I was not part of the Perseid movement and did not really build relationships with any of them, I just believed in their operation. I say this because it was during the use of Dr. Itua herbal medicine that I now attest that herbal medicine is real, the phytotherapy Dr. Itua heals my breast cancer which I suffered for 2 years. Dr. Itua herbal medicine is made of natural herbs, with no side effects, and easy to drink. If you have the same breast cancer or any type of human illness, including HIV / AIDS, herpes cancer, bladder cancer, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, kidney cancer, lung cancer, skin cancer, skin cancer and skin cancer. , LEUKEMIA, VIRUSES, HEPATITIS, INFERTILITY WOMEN / MAN, LOT OF LOVE, LOTTERY. ITS CONTACT EMAIL / WHATSAPP: Or drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ +2348149277967