Monday, August 5, 2013

A Lovely Long Weekend

I didn't grow up with the Civic Holiday - spending my earlier years in one of those provinces of Quebec/Yukon/Labrador/Newfoundland that ignores the first Monday in August and goes about, going about as they normally would.  So it really seems like a bit of a treat to have this day of perfect summer emptiness ahead of me.  It's bright and sunny.  And a little cool, waking up to 15C or 59F this a.m.  Kevin's taken Bart down to the courts to watch the tennis and Hercules and I sit at the computer listening to the cicadas and birds singing away outside.

Garden chores for the day include grass cutting, lettuce sowing, clipping, weeding and getting a few samples into the ground before they expire on the general principle of being ignored for so long without being given a permanent home (mea culpa, mea maxima culpa....).

Here are a few sights around the garden:

The Hemerocallis are finishing up their period of bloom.  The odd little seed heads belong to Tripterygium regelii that I grew from seed from Gardens North.



Noticed that our little birds have disappeared.   West Nile is back, but so is a juvenile red-tailed hawk.  This one was about 50cm (20") head to tail.



A big Hemerocallis I got from a breeder in Bobcaygeon who is no longer in business.  I was in my brownish flower period when I bought this one.  The flowers are absolutely immense.  Again, next to the Regels Three Wing Nut.



Last year, was a really warm year.  Many plants that could produce seed, did.  This year, my formerly distinct patch of 3 interesting grasses has become a big grass globby mess.  Will add it to the to-do list to see if I can make it look like something again.


It's the time of year when my bed of big plants starts to shine.  Removed quite a bit of the Persicaria polymorpha to make H. 'Limelight' look a little better.


One of the signs that we are sliding into fall is seeing the Rose of Sharon bloom around the neighbourhood.  This was a test plant that was sent to me by Proven Winners that I'm very fond of - 'Blue Chiffon'.


A Nicandra volunteer.  The original was supposed to be variegated (wouldn't that have been fancy?) that wasn't.  So many things to recommend this plant:  the size, the shape, the colour, the fact nothing eats it, and it has very good winter interest as well.


This is a reminder to all you gardeners out there who are told:  "No dear, don't put that in the garden, it will never grow.  Just throw it out after Easter.  It was only meant to grow in a greenhouse."  Don't listen.  Give it a try, and maybe you'll have a wonderful Hydrangea that comes back for over 10 years, bigger and better than ever like I do.


Mahonia repens that doesn't creep, doesn't do much at all, but it grows in a very dry spot, and if I get down on my hands and knees there are these very pretty berries that I can practice photographing in very low light.  Will try again to see if I can do something about the wiggly focus.


A red blooming Japanese Maple.


My very first 'collection' item.  Almost 20 years ago I rescued this from a house that was being removed for more road.  It has the loveliest scent.


The 'Wonderberries' volunteers - little weeny tomatoes.


You can see where I'll be clipping and weeding today.


Looking forward to seeing the squirrel acrobatics.  Unlike the birds who peck and pull the individual berries, the squirrels rip the red bits right from the branches to get as many berries, as fast as possible.


Is this not the silliest variegation you've ever seen in your life?  Hydrangea 'Lemon Wave'.




The shrimp plant from Loblaw with some garden variety begonias at the base.


Another 'Blue Chiffon' shot.


The Town of Oakville strikes again.  This is how they fixed the pipe in my garden.


Much nicer just looking at this bed instead.


So for those of you who are on vacation, enjoy the rest of the day.  And be sure to get out a have a bit of a play - just like Bart and Percy at the cottage last week - nothing better than a good game of tag.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So for those of you who are on vacation, enjoy the rest of the day. And be sure to get out a have a bit of a play..Trees For Sale

Anonymous said...

Noticed that our little birds have disappeared. West Nile is back, but so is a juvenile red-tailed hawk. This one was about 50cm (20") head to tail.forsythia for sale